Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Just Can't Get Enough

I'm eating him up. I snuggle my face in his neck & drink in that great baby smell. We snuggle a lot & I allow myself to feed on demand & hold him whenever he wants to be held! Babywise be damned. (That's scriptural language, not swearing.)

At the root of my desires is my fear that Luke is going to grow up too fast & I won't ever have this fundamental need met again in my life. I hate that he is changing so much everyday. Everyday, one step closer to independence & away from needing me.

"Mommies love babies," Curtis said the other day. We do. We all love them. I can't believe this is the end of this phase of my life. How quickly it comes and goes.

These photos are a precious gift to me from a good friend, Crystal who came to our house & took these pictures when Luke was just about 3 or 4 weeks old. I love them dearly because they capture Luke as a newborn, freezing him in time, which thing I cannot do in real life. Thanks a million Crystal!



















Song for a Fifth Child


Mother, oh mother, come shake out your cloth
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.


Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek peekaboo).
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).


The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

By Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I love him!! Don't let him grow up before I get back to AZ. (only 18 more days.) I want to taste/smell/kiss the little newborn baby too! I am so glad you are able to find time to enjoy him!

Miss you guys! love you!

J said...

Hey Aimee - cute pictures. Luke looks very thoughtful - just taking it all in. It is amazing how fast kids learn and grow up to be independent. It's easier for them let go than it is for us. But they need lots of love along the way. I'm sure Luke will never be without.

Brent & Emily Slade said...

Oh! He's getting so big- I hate that too! Your post is precious. Here! Here! Babywise be damned! Ha!

Michelle and Taeven Thompson said...

Your feelings about your growing boy are heart-breaking and precious, all at the same time. Drink it up! ... leave Babywise to the chumps.

Crissie said...

Oh Aimee...he is so precious! Don't you just get so mad that they grow so fast?? It's unfair! Throw babywise out the door for sure!! :) Who needs sleep anyway? Sleep will eventually come, but these little babies only stay little for so long. With Dallin, I decided to not stress about it at all. So ya, I ended up having to get up in the night every night to nurse him his whole first year...and I absolutely loved it!! I treasured those late night moments with him. After he was weaned, he started sleeping through the night no problem, and has always been a fantastic sleeper!! Keep enjoying him! I really want to come see him soon. Maybe after the holidays?

Christi said...

Exactly! I cried the day after I came home from the hospital because Simon was already growing up and would soon be leaving me for a wife!

Aunt Spicy said...

Ohhh, I cant believe how big your kids all are, and little luke is just precious! Enjoy every moment!

Angie said...

He is beautiful!!!! And I am glad to know that I am not the only one going to use Babywise as fire kindling! Babies are babies for only a moment! Enjoy those moments!

Jill said...

Hello! I am so glad you found me on Jill Brown's blog. I loved looking through your blog and catching up with your family. What a cute blonde baby boy. Luke fits him perfectly. One of these days I am going to drop in and see you, without an invite or an appointment. So don't be shocked. Did Curtis tell you we did sealing last week with him? I agree with insulting baby wise. That drove me crazy and made me feel so bad for those babies whose mothers were obsessed with feeding every 3 hours! Poor little ones.

Melody said...

I think we had the last two lines of that poem hanging up in our house somewhere, but I'd never seen the rest; I absolutely love it! I'm sure by now little Luke has changed a lot, but he sure is precious!

Rosalyn Francis said...

I LOVE your descriptions and what darling photos of this little man! I could snuggle all day long with my babies... and now that most of them are taller than I am, I am REALLY glad I made the most of it with each one. =)