Saturday, November 8, 2008

Happy Retro Halloween



Do these costumes look familiar anyone? I feel very lucky that I was at Mom's house when she was cleaning out the attic & I got to inherit lots of gems like these from her costume box. I told the kids this year that we weren't buying halloween costumes-- we have so many to choose from already. They did ok I think.




Isaac started out as a dog, but it was a little too small, so he ended up as the clown. Ian didn't want to dress up at all, but I told him if he was too old to dress up, he was too old to trick or treat. He went as Curtis in high school-- notice the mullet. He brought home a mere 11 pounds of candy, that will now serve our family as movie candy for the next year or until it gets stale.




Here is us pumpkin carving. We ate fresh pumpkin for the first time this year (not these). But it isn't too bad-- a little like spagetti squash. I'm also loving butternut squash. I discovered that you can microwave it so easily. Just poke holes in the squash (leave it whole) and microwave it for about 10 minutes. If it isn't really tender, do one minute more at a time. Then cut it in half and scoop out the seeds & discard. Scoop out the flesh & mash it with a little butter, salt & pepper and a couple spoonfuls of cream (or milk). Wow! So easy & yummy.


5 comments:

Brent & Emily Slade said...

This is hilarious! Ian looks awesome! And yes- all those costumes look familiar-....I think I was the M&M's one year! And thanks for the squash microwaving tip- love it!

Sheri Lee said...

So fun! I thing the mullet is the best! Did Curtis really have a mullet? I have lost a bit of my respect for him now:)

Lorri said...

Thanks for letting Nathan tag along Halloween night.

Unknown said...

I know for a fact I was the clown at least once or twice, and was the little chinese girl. Kent Phelps brought that costume home from Korea. Tara and I wore those one year matching eachother. So cute!! Where were YOUR costumes?? How is the movie room?? I miss it!

The Whatcott Fam said...

Hi Aimee! I haven't seen you and your family forever- your kids are so grown up now! I totally remember those costumes! I have many memories of playing dress up in your parent's attic!

Cindy