Saturday, November 1, 2008

DC in Election Season

At the FDR Memorial.

Kimberly and her friends are working hard for the cause


Eating chowder at the "Tackle Box" in Georgetown

This is taken from the FDR memorial. Loved the fall colors there.


This is Kimberly's street, Q Street, right in front of her house.

Last weekend I went to visit one of my oldest friends, well she's not old-- in fact she is 10 days younger than me, something she is now very proud of. But our friendship is old. We just turned 37 and we have been friends for at least 23 years. I think having lived apart for many years now, we are still very surprised that we ever became friends, back in Jr. High & High school. Some things were easier then. We just took Ferris days from school & drove around everywhere in her 69 cream VW beetle. Kim knew a lot about the world and good music and good food and good times. I knew a lot about the gospel of Jesus Christ. So we shared what we knew & both ended up the wiser I think. Now Kimberly lives in DC and she knows everything about the world and the government & politics. I'm still just a country girl, living in Gilbert and I am only an expert on a couple things, like changing diapers and Cub scouting. It might be harder to share what we know now. We still go together about as well as oil and water, Obama & McCain.... or should I say gasoline and matches. As usual, we didn't see eye to eye on everything, in fact, maybe only 3 or 4 things, but I am still glad to see the world through the lense of my "most ethnic" friend.

We had a fun bike ride on the Mount Vernon trail, but it was cut short by the rain, and perhaps partly by my inexperience :) We really got poured on several times on Saturday. We did some driving/walking tours, and some shopping. We ate at Potbelly's-- which I have dearly missed since our chicago days. I loved going to her ward on Sunday and meeting some of her friends. What an amazing place to live. I also loved seeing Kimberly's new fabulous house! She has done a terrific job & has a great garden in back as well. She also introduced me to my favorite new breakfast-- plain yogurt, grape nuts, frozen berries & maple syrup-- delish! Thanks again Kimberly.

6 comments:

Melody said...

Hey Aimee, I was happy to see your blog, and it was great to see pictures of Kim! I think I got to have one exciting ride in that VW when I was around 12, and I will never forget actually seeing the road speed by beneath me through a hole in the floor! :)

Brent & Emily Slade said...

What a great trip! Oh- those VW bug days were great....don't forget about the hole in the floor in the back seat! We love ya Kim!

Crissie said...

Funny, I was just thinking about Kim today. How fun for you to spend some time with her. It was always quite the ride driving with Kim in her VW. The hole in the floor was a little scary, and it was always so funny to see her automatically reach over to close her door as it would fly open while turning corners.:) I don't think my mom would have ever let me ride in that car if she'd known what it was really like. Kim was always so much fun. Tell her I said Hi!

Crissie

P.S. I noticed that you posted a recipe on Sistersavings.net. Did you know that Sister Savings is my sister in law? (Stan's sister)

Erin A said...

That sounds like so much fun! I was with you on the breakfast until the maple syrup...but I'll have to give it a try!

Jenny Hoppie said...

Amy, it's your cousin Jenny (Packard) Hoppie. I was surfing Erin's blog this morning and saw her link to your blog. What happenstance . . . I was just thinking about Kim Conkle a week or two ago, wondering how she's doing. Send me an email so I can catch up with you (jenrahop@yahoo.com). How's your mom doing since her broken wrist?

Unknown said...

So fun! I love that you can "celebrate" your differences and still be friends. I have been thinking a lot about that the past few days. There has been some discussion/gossip/ call it what you want, lately amongst some girls in the ward that have stemmed from politics. There really is a way to come together even when there are obvious difference of opinions amongst people. Thanks for that example! Those memories of Kim's car seem to be crystal clear in so many memories! :) I would LOVE to go out there and see her new house. Fun!