Wednesday, March 25, 2009

2009 was the year. . .

. . . that I gave up blogging? Almost.

I haven't felt much like blogging these last couple months. I was almost resigned to let it go. But today I started thinking of all the great things that I want to remember about this beautiful spring & it inspired me to post about a few of them before they just melt away as a blur of springs past.


We celebrated Grandma's 89th Birthday in January. I learned to do Grandma's hair which is kind of fun. I wish I could do my hair every 10 days.


Josh turned 10! Here he is blowing out candles on his own banana split.


I started the year off by making hundreds of calls for the John Lewis for Mayor campaign. (This is Annie's father in law-- Doug's parents.) I am still very impassioned about it but I'm happy to report that he came out with 41% in the primary to the next guys 20%. I think we are going to make it! May 19th is the run off election. Here are the Lewis' at a cottage evening at our house that was attended by 50 people!


Eliza finally made the cut offs & was allowed to join the other husky fans at her 1st Washington game of basketball.


Joshua grew some lovely little wildflowers in my kitchen windowsill. I loved watching these seeds sprout & finally bloom. Don't you think they look very nice & cheery here with my retro curtains?


Eliza made this cute sign & posted it on her bedroom door. Nice reminder for us all.


Isaac turned 3 & I made a TX sheet cake. (I pretty much ate most of it myself, & if you look closely you can see that I had already started on one corner of it before we even got the candles on.) He got one present I think, but it was really all he wanted. A new battery powered spiderman quad. Actually, he'd rather have the $300 John Deer tractor model, but we settled for this $50 version with a year warranty.


Giving a ride to Lindsay, his best friend, on the new wheels.


Joyous times when Curt's parents came to visit us for a couple weeks! We had lots of nice meals at our new patio table & even some Mexican Train! Carol got a nasty cold that we tried to cure with fresh squeezed OJ & chicken soup. They took the whole family bowling one day & they really blew us all away now that they are serious bowlers.


Ward really enjoyed the AZ sunshine after lots of rain & flooding in North Bend this year.


Ward came with me to the zoo and we met Eliza's class field trip there. We pet the sting rays & grandpa treated the kids to a camel ride! What fun!


Last week was spring break & the weather was so nice we decided to camp right here in Emily & Brent's new back yard! Lovely! We had tin foil dinners (cooked in the oven) & then had a bonfire & made s'mores. (I think I have actually grown to like those more over the years-- isn't that funny?) By the way that's IBC Rootbeer in my hand-- I know what you are thinking.


The next day Curtis made his famous breakfast burritos & then we went hiking up in Gold Canyon on the Hieroglyphics trail. The flowers were beautiful, the view spectacular, & the water refreshing at the top.




Eliza turned 7 on Sunday. I made a strawberry jello cake with whipped cream & strawberries. She wanted hers with purple frosting instead. Whatever. I look at myself in this picture & just think of mom.


Eliza got a new doll for her birthday. Isabel has one too. She named her name Annie. Ahhhhh. She is about the size of a newborn & can wear newborn clothes and diapers. We went shopping for a few new outfits for her. She also is using some of the baby clothes that she wore when she was newborn. Eliza likes to change her clothes every morning & seven times a day. She feeds her at the table in her doll highchair. She sleeps with her in the cradle next to her bed. She carries her everywhere. I think it's filling a need. Maybe for both of us.


15 comments:

Doug Lewis said...

Great pictures! They need to put Ward (and Molly) on the cover of SI.

Crissie said...

Great update Aimee!! Glad you decided not to totally give up on it. :)

Unknown said...

That was such a great post!! I loved it all- you learned how to do Grandma's hair! Ward is seriously hilarious (Em was so right- Grandma Oakley to a T!) Tell Eliza that I am honored she would name her doll Annie (although I am sure it is not after me.) And I LOVE love those great kids of yours! Can't wait to see you all this summer! Keep BLOGGING! I really need to picture connection living 2 states away. Love you!

Angie said...

Thanks for not giving up on blogging. I love the updates!!!! It is still snowing here so i am glad to see someone gets to enjoy the great outdoors!

Michelle and Taeven Thompson said...

Talk about having your cake and eating it too... ha. ha. Life is good ;)

Sarah said...

I often entertain the thought of giving up blogging too, and then come back when I think of the memories I'll read one day.
And by the way...I have an Isaac too..rare name, but a great one!

Unknown said...

Did I not leave a comment?

Lorri said...

So glad you're not giving up on the blogging thing. We love to reading about your family.

Stacey said...

This blog is awesome! Another Aimee talent! You have the best family! You even look beautiful while hiking!I hope you are having fun in Sedona today!

Sheri Lee said...

Good post! Everybody looks like they are doing awesome!

kaleyq said...

So happy that you're back! What a fun update!

Josh, Dagmar, Sofia, Lilian, Jasper and Espen Jewkes said...

Hi Aimee,

It is so good to see your family is doing well, you all look beautiful! Wow Josh turned 10, that is pretty scary! How is AZ and how is Curtis doing with his job? It must be fun to be close to family? Where do you live exactly? I am going to be in Phoenix on May 8 and would love to say hello, it would be so fun to see you all again. Hope all is well!
Love, the jewkes family

annelise said...

Aimee,
For someone who almost decided to give it up you a wonderful job. It was nice to see some pics of Brent Slade as well. Keep on blogging!!!

Jim

Melody said...

You do totally look like your mom in that picture. I miss her and am excited to have her back home!! Say hi to Autumn for me... chances are you'll see her before I get a chance to call. :)

Karen said...

Hi gorgeous! It was a treat catching up and seeing your pictures!

Love your guts!